Marking the Week for combatting Cardiovascular Diseases (February 21 to 28, 2021)
According to the calendar of traditional activities, the Red Cross of the Republic of North Macedonia, marks the Week for combatting cardiovascular diseases, under the motto “Healthy heart, happy heart” in the period from 21 to 28 February 2021. Cardiovascular diseases are a large heterogeneous group of diseases and the leading cause of death in the Republic of North Macedonia.
- Cardiovascular disease is the number one cause of death in the world. According to the data of the Institute of Public Health of RNM, more than 57% of the deaths in the Republic of Northern Macedonia are due to cardiovascular diseases.
- In 2004, an estimated 17.1 million people died of cardiovascular disease, which accounts for 29% of the world’s mortality. Of this number, 7.2 million died as a result of coronary heart disease due to atherosclerosis and 5.7 million as a result of a heart attack.
- 82% of cardiovascular diseases occur in low and middle-standard countries, affecting both populations equally (men / women, 1:1). The most important risk factors for heart disease and stroke are poor diet, physical inactivity and cigarette consumption. These are the so-called behavioral risk factors and in 80% are the cause of coronary heart disease and cerebrovascular disease. The effects of unhealthy diet and physical inactivity can cause high blood pressure, increased blood glucose and fat, overweight and obesity. All of these listed changes are essentially high risk factors.
There are also predisposing factors for CVD, also called “causal causes”. They reflect social, economic and cultural change – globalization, urbanization and population aging. Other determining factors for CVZ are stress and poverty.
- Quitting smoking,
- Proper diet rich in vitamins and minerals,
- Cholesterol testing and regulation,
- Examination and regulation of high blood pressure,
- Performing physical activity,
- Weight regulation without abrupt variation,
- Reduced alcohol intake,
- Rest and relaxation walks in nature.